Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mlex
Returning Member

California home and spouse, moving to nyc for job opportunity

I own a home with my wife in california. She works and lives in california and we have no kids. 

I accepted a remote job in new york. I can only be employed if I have a legal/domicile in nyc.

I have a residence in nyc that i can claim, however I want to know all the steps i need to fulfill to legitimize my residency, without setting up separate bank accounts from my wife.  I want to avoid an audit!  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Your residency is normally where you live and work. So, if you have a full-time job in New York City and you live there for the majority of the time, that would be sufficient to have you considered to be a resident there. If you mean by working remote that you won't be living in New York, then you won't be able to claim residency there. The only exception I can think of to that would be if you were formerly a resident of New York City and you left for a temporary assignment but intended to return there, then you could be a resident while you where away. But you would have to have lived there for that to work.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mlex
Returning Member

would i need to change my license from california to nyc? 

would i need to change my voter registration?

Even though i own a home and wife live in california, I wont have any hurdles?

California wont claim that it is temporary? 

Is it really as simple as moving to nyc? 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Your drivers license and voters registration do not determine where you actually live although they can support the fact that you live there.  You cannot claim living in NY if you actually do live in CA.  If you have a home in NY where you live and also live in CA, then you can claim part year resident for both, but you must do it based on when you actually live in each state.  You will need to pay taxes to each state if you live in each state and work in each state.  If you work remotely from CA for a NY employer, you will need to pay taxes to CA for the time spent physically working in the state of CA and vice versa.  

If you are physically living in NYC and actually are going to your job in NYC, then that is all the evidence you need

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies