turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California Excess SDI (or VPDI) with held.

I am a California residence. I recieved a letter from State of California Franchise Tax Board saying I own a balance from tax year 2022. 

I filed CA tax form 540NR using Turbotax Desktop download. The balance is related to line 84 - Excess SDI (or VPDI) with held. I worked at two companies during 2022, hence two W2s. Company A paid VPDI $1,601(Max withhold for 2022), and company B paid SDI $1000. When TurboTax calculating line 88 - total payments, this $1000 was included into total payments. Then for line 104 - Tax due, I paid $1000 less to State of California. 

However, it seems like State of California Franchise Tax Board doesn't recognize the $1000 Excess SDI with held, and asking me to pay the $1000 + penalty + interest.

Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I agree that the total disability insurance payment due for the year is not more than the $1,601 that you paid, so you would be due a refund of the additional $1,000 paid in. I suggest you write a letter in response to the tax due letter you received and explain what happened and include any documentary information that would be helpful in explaining your position. CA EDD information

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much for your response. Do you have an example of such a letter to explain my situation? I'll include both of my W2s in the letter, I was wondering what else is needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies