Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

self employed 2009
Returning Member

CA state Form 3853 - Health Coverage Exemption: No ECN entry error

Turbotax informed me that my CA state return needs fixing in order to e-file.

So I chose ‘Fix CA Return”

1. The “Check This Entry” screen says “Form 3853 - Health Coverage Exemption: Exemption Certificate Number must be entered since you have selected an exemption.......”

Since I don’t have ECN, I entered “No ECN”.

2.“Check This Entry” screen says “Form 3853 - Health Coverage Exemption: Exemption Certificate Number or No or Pending ECN should be entered but not both.”

I erased the previous entry “No ECN” in (1), since “No ECN” is already selected from the drop down menu.

The screen goes back to (1), which says “Form 3853 - Health Coverage Exemption: Exemption Certificate Number must be entered since you have selected an exemption.......”

I seem to be caught in an infinite loop, and believe that this is an error in the Turbotax program.

Please advise how I would be able to fix this, so I may e-file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
MU 805

I am in the same loop for the CA health coverage exemption.  Trying to efile also.  Following for a fix.

Also having the same issue.  Looking for support.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you still experiencing this issue?

@Immmcruz

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
derekmlr

I have this issue and have paused filing my state tax because of it. I selected "No ECN" and so I shouldn't have to enter it...

I am stuck in the same loop and need help!!!

anyone find a resolution to this?  I've tried every combination I can think of - and it just keeps kicking me out of eFile.

I am having the same issue  trying to file now 4./14/22 anything no problem taking your payment though?

help

I'm a California filer and was trying to resolve the "No ECN" error when I was eFiling.

Open your return and navigate to the following section.

State Taxes -> Continue -> Edit -> Credits and Taxes -> Health Insurance Penalty -> Revisit

Q. Did you all have insurance coverage in 2021?
A. "None of us had it at any point" << this was my selection >>

If you answered like this to the question about insurance and clicked continue, then the next screen is very important and related to the error during eFile. It's not a TurboTax bug per se, it's in how the state prepared the forms and it's easy to miss some important clarifying text on the TurboTax screen.

Click <CONTINUE> once you've answered the "Did you all have insurance coverage in 2021?"

The 4 groups of checkboxes on the next screen are important and related to the issue.

If you checked ANY of the boxes in the 2nd group ("Exemptions granted by the Marketplace (Requires an Exemption Certificate Number)" - you will have this issue. I had incorrectly checked the "Coverage was considered unaffordable" which was the issue. I removed this checkbox and continued through the rest of the sections and after TurboTax performed the required calculation, I was still eligible for a waiver to eliminate the "Shared Responsibility Payment" and I was also able to eFile with the "No ECN" selection in my 3853.

This is not tax advice - this was my solution to the problem that so many seem to be struggling with.

Good Luck

see my comment below yours - maybe it will help.  Good luck!

GUWSHEA

Thank you SO MUCH!

I have no number for the form 3853 so it won’t let me efile.  It already took my money for the fee.  How do I efile?

Hi Mathisenrob,

If your problem was the same as mine (cannot eFile) - then you need to review the following section of your State Return.

Follow these clicks within Turbo Tax and check to make sure you didn't accidentally click the boxes that require an ECN.

State Taxes -> Continue -> Edit -> Credits and Taxes -> Health Insurance Penalty -> Revisit

In my case, my return was complete and when I attempted to transmit the return, Turbo Tax stopped me and said something to effect of "We have to ask you one more thing...." and it took me back to the 3853 "No ECN" problem and acted like I MUST enter an ECN even though I chose the "No ECN" option from the drop-down.

The reason Turbo Tax was doing this, was because I had checked a box in during the "Health Insurance Penalty Q&A" that resulted in the choice "No ECN" being problematic.  I had to remove the check from the box with the following title: "Coverage was considered unaffordable" which was in the 2nd group on this screen and it was the cause of the failure on attempt to eFile.  I removed that check and let Turbo Tax perform the calculation again and my penalty was waived.

Best of luck!

Although the instructions state select all hardships which apply, only 1 selection is necessary. Simply select plan unaffordable (i.e., code M) in order to get rid of the error. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies