Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA 540NR Part-Year resident -- issue with residency dates and 540NR line 83.

On the Residency Information screen, the date I moved out of California is wrong.  The Personal Info tab has the correct dates, and the forms display the correct date.  The date displayed on the Residency Information screen was the first date I inputted but later corrected. The second issue is line 83 on 540NR and form 593.  I sold my California home and also sold California land (personal use not investment).  Both properties closed before we left California.  I bought a home in Pennsylvania which closed on the same day I closed on the sale of my California home.  Is the date displayed on the Residency Information an issue?  The forms view reflects the correct dates.

For my second issue, I am getting a Check This Entry on 540NR line 83.  I have two 593s, one for my CA home and one for my CA land (personal use).  TurboTax also shows me as the remitter on both 593s when it should be the title company.  TurboTax wants the parcel number entered on the land 593 although the street address is what the title company entered on the form.  TurboTax also wants line 13 on the land 593 completed.  I am guessing this is to compare the system-calculated withholding amount that shows up on line 30 to what the title company withheld on line 37 which is a few dollars more than what TurboTax calculated. 

When I tried to transmit the Federal and CA tax returns, TurboTax wants me to "Check This Entry" on the CA 540NR line 83 which is displayed in red font.  I checked the entry and it reflects the amount the title company withheld (shown on the land 593 line 37) which is the total withheld as the other 593 was exempt from withholding.  Since the entry is correct, I click on continue, and when TurboTax reviews the file I get the same Check This Entry error for line 83.  I click on "Continue" and then "Transmit" returns and TurboTax does one more check because "we need a little more information that we didn't need earlier."  I click on continue and I'm back to the Check This Entry on 540NR line 83.  Since the entries are correct, I click continue and then Transmit and I'm back to the Check This Entry problem.  The Federal Tax Payments worksheet shows the amount that was withheld on the 593.  TurboTax is stuck in a loop and the entries are correct.  How can I get past this?  I e-filed the Federal return, but cannot e-file the CA return because of the Check This Entry issue.  I have searched this website for an answer and cannot find it.  How did others with similar "Check This Entry" error resolve it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

So three days and no responses?  I called and was told to try re-installing the program.  So, I uninstalled, restarted my computer, and re-installed everything, and still no go.  I've already did my taxes three times and still the same error.  What's wrong with TurboTax?  I followed the instructions I found on multiple posts on how to input the 593 into TurboTax, and same results--TurboTax shows me as the remitter on form 593 when I entered what is on the 593 given to me by the title company.  The 593 in TurboTax is completed correctly except for the remitter's name.  The state tax that was paid is entered correctly on the Federal return under "Other Income Taxes Paid in 2023" withheld without a W-2 or 1099.  Yet TurboTax wants me to check the entry on 540NR line 83. 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

This thread includes the following suggested resolution for an issue with Form 540NR, Line 83, which worked for another user:

It's important to enter the California Form 592-B information correctly. Enter the California tax on Form 592-B in the federal return first:

Federal Taxes tab
Deductions and Credits
I'll choose what I work on
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Select Other Income Taxes
Under Other Income Taxes Paid in 2018 is
Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099  <Start>
Enter the $$ withheld in the State box (round to the nearest dollar - don't enter pennies) and select California from the dropdown

In TurboTax/California, click through until you get to the screen Take a look at California credits and taxes, under Payments and Withholding select Real Estate and Other Withholding

Check the 592-B Box and you will be shown an image of the form to input the data for electronic filing. This will "sync up" the "other withholding" coming from the federal return and treat it properly on the California return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies