Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

At the beginning under my info Oklahoma was picked as resident state by mistake. Ohio is my resident state. How do I change this?

I never lived in Oklahoma. I only ever lived in Ohio. It's charging me for Oklahoma rates rather than Ohio rates. How do I change this? Where do I edit this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

At the beginning under my info Oklahoma was picked as resident state by mistake. Ohio is my resident state. How do I change this?

To change your state residency in TurboTax Online:

1. Open TurboTax Online
  2. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  3. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the My Info box, then select Edit
  4. On the Personal info summary screen, select Edit to the right of the first taxpayer listed
  5. Change your state of residence by selecting the dropdown to the right of State of residence (on December 31, 2023)
  6. Select Continue
  7. When you return to the Personal info summary screen, make the same change for your spouse, if necessary

When you get to the state section of your return, make sure that your state return's residency status is appropriate for the period ending December 31, 2023. 

Once this is done, you might want to make sure that there's no Oklahoma tax return present:

1. In the left pane, select the dropdown to the right of State Taxes
  2. Select Your State Returns
  3. If you see a return for Oklahoma, select Delete

[Edited 4/8/2024 | 9:40 am PST]

@gerldeanfreeman- @SteamTrain 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

To change your state residency in TurboTax Online:

1. Open TurboTax Online
  2. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  3. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the My Info box, then select Edit
  4. On the Personal info summary screen, select Edit to the right of the first taxpayer listed
  5. Change your state of residence by selecting the dropdown to the right of State of residence (on December 31, 2023)
  6. Select Continue
  7. When you return to the Personal info summary screen, make the same change for your spouse, if necessary

When you get to the state section of your return, make sure that your state return's residency status is appropriate for the period ending December 31, 2023. 

Once this is done, you might want to make sure that there's no Oklahoma tax return present:

1. In the left pane, select the dropdown to the right of State Taxes
  2. Select Your State Returns
  3. If you see a return for Oklahoma, select Delete

[Edited 4/8/2024 | 9:40 am PST]

@gerldeanfreeman- @SteamTrain 

(Edited : 4/8/24)...got it!

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

(Edited : 4/8/24)...got it!  All is swell.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies