turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my son interned in Chicago (college aged) , and lives in Ohio but made no money in Ohio, does he have to file an Ohio State and City return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

If my son interned in Chicago (college aged) , and lives in Ohio but made no money in Ohio, does he have to file an Ohio State and City return?

Yes.

As you may conclude from the other answer, the Ohio filing requirement is wishy washy. The simple answer is he does not need to file a state return if his total income  was less than $10,850. Otherwise, he needs to file, even though the income was earned out of state.. Ohio will give him a credit, or partial credit, for any tax paid to Illinois.

If he is your dependent, he must file a city return for the city you live in. Even if he isn't your dependent, he must file a city return for the city of his permanent residence. There is no minimum income filing requirement for most Ohio cities, although some (most) exempt people under 18.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Answer was edited
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If his Ohio adjusted gross income (Ohio IT 1040, line 3) is less than or equal to 0 (zero) than he does not have to file a return.

He may need to fill out an Exemption form for the city.  What city did he live in during the year?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies