Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending the amendment 1040x

I amended state taxes but now the 1040x is wrong. My original refund of X amount was never issued because there was an error. The amendment now shows my refund/credit as exactly $0. It’s too coincidental that the amendment changed by exactly the amount(-X) I was to be refund when no number values were changed. What did I do wrong? I need to amend the amendment. Lol!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should see an option to cancel the amendment. Choose that option and start the amendment process over.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I tried that.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

When you begin your amendment, the refund monitor is always zero until you make the change.

It has something to do with this 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Keep in mind that when you are amending, the refund tracker monitors the difference from your original filing to the amended return. It does not include any original refund or balance due. If you are claiming any previously unclaimed credits, you will see the difference as an additional refund amount. Can you provide more details to allow us to assist, or have your resolved your question?

It has something to do with the question I pasted below. It auto fills my original refund amount of X and believe calculates as if I received the refund  so sets my refund to $0. If enter $0, it says I owe X. This is extremely frustrating. Here is the question that is affecting everything(I could only copy text):

Information From Your Original Return

The first thing we need to do is to verify some information from your original return.

Enter/Confirm the refund or tax you paid on your original return

Though the TurboTax experts won't admit it,

most posters on this forum report that amending an amendment just doesn't work.

I tried it myself and found that to be the case (TurboTax 2017).

No numerical values were amended so refund should not go up or down. My federal didn’t change: Federal shows original refund as current refund, which is accurate in amendment. The state wipes it to zero. 

That is looking to be the case. The amendment product has a programming error. Even more frustrating because this all started bc TT does not prompt for 1095a information. It didn’t ask so I figured it wasn’t needed-I trusted their product. My forms were flagged by both federal and my state for this missing data. When I asked TT how this happened, they said the only way to add 1095a data is by going the help search box which takes you there in a round about way. Lol! It isn’t on the program?! Ergh. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies