Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

advice on ordering

looking to file Fed returns for 2018 and 2019. Also returns for Hawaii 2018 and 2019, and California non resident returns for 2018 and 2019. Need advice from someone who might suggest the appropriate package as well as the method of ordering. Retired from Cal Public employees system  and they require the non resident filing, Where to look, who to call?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

advice on ordering

Here are the links for your 2019 options.  You can file either Online or you can use desktop software.  Either will work for your federal, resident (HI) and nonresident (CA) returns.  You may be able to use the Free Edition (Online only) if you only have retirement income.   You can always start out in free and upgrade if you need to later without losing any information.   If you use desktop, you will need at least Deluxe to get one state product included.  You can add the 2nd state when you file.   


For 2018, your only option is to use the desktop software.  TurboTax Online is only for 2019 tax returns. Here, you’ll find the right TurboTax product to file tax returns for 2018.  The software comes with one state product so you will have to add a second state.  You can do that when you file.  


How do I file a nonresident state return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

advice on ordering

Are you sure you have to file a CA return for that?  I thought when you moved out of California they couldn't come after you for that.  Do you have a CA link?  I'm retired from CalPERS too.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings