Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lucky99

Adjust state income manually

I was employed at company A and lived at Iowa from Jan to May last year, but I moved out of Iowa since last year May. and I will not be returning to Iowa to live.

However, when I moved to Washington state for company B in May, I didn’t update my address on the internal HR website in time, which means, my Iowa address was listed in the first few months as my residence address for my employment at WA state, even though i didn’t live there anymore. Therefore, in the W2 issued by that company, the state code in W2 is IA, and part of my total income is listed as state income. The company won’t change it for me, so I’m wondering if I could adjust the Iowa source income manually to exclude the amount of state income (box 16) from my W2 of that company. in other words, in IA126, PART 1, box 1, income will only include those before May.

My questions are

1. Am I to allow to do that because it means the IA state income would be different from what is shown on my W2?
2. If it's okay for me to adjust some amounts in the tax return to reflect my true income from Iowa, is IA126, PART 1, box 1 the right place for me to change? or is there any other forms I should consider for my situation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Adjust state income manually

Yes, you will adjust it, on IA 126, Part 1, box 1.  When you first get to the personal info section, it will ask you if you lived in more than one state.  Here you will answer yes and select Iowa.  As you walk through the Iowa return, you will be asked if you want to allocate your wages?  You will say yes, and then make the adjustments to remove the income you earned while living in WA from your Iowa earnings.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies