Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accidentally marked 'exemption' on w4 for 2 months

I am a new immigrate and got my first job here from 22Apr2024. I just found out that I accidentally marked exemption on my w4...I already corrected it in the system today (20Jun2024) but I am worrying about if that will impact my tax file in 2025? Or will there be any panlity?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

if you are a Green Card Holder you are automatically a resident alien.  

since you used the IRS estimator and corrected your W-4 based on the results, you should receive a small refund or owe a very small amount at tax time. 

as long as you owe less than $1000 when you complete your tax return, there is no penalty for underpayment during the year. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Sounds like you corrected the problem pretty quickly.  No, there will not be a penalty for that mistake.   You might owe a bit more or get a smaller refund because of the smaller amount withheld but it should not cause a penalty.   If you are a non-resident alien, you will not be able to use Turbo Tax at tax time.

If you are a non-resident alien, your return must be filed on Form 1040NR, which cannot be prepared using TurboTax.  You can use TT’s partner, sprintax:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I've updated my W4 and also withhold extra amount according to the IRS withholding calculator. If I had enough amount for the tax holding at some point of this year, will I still get a smaller refund?

I am a Green Card holder and I think i will be resident alien for the whole 2024 year. 

if you are a Green Card Holder you are automatically a resident alien.  

since you used the IRS estimator and corrected your W-4 based on the results, you should receive a small refund or owe a very small amount at tax time. 

as long as you owe less than $1000 when you complete your tax return, there is no penalty for underpayment during the year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies