turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in New Jersey& received unemployment income from New York State but did not earn any wages in New York State. Do I need to file a New York State Tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ToddL

I live in New Jersey& received unemployment income from New York State but did not earn any wages in New York State. Do I need to file a New York State Tax return?

No, you don't need to file a NY state tax return just because you received unemployment benefits from NY. 

Unemployment benefits are reported to the state where you live, not to the state you got them from (unless you still live there).

If NY withheld NY state income tax from your NY unemployment, and you didn't have any other taxable income, you might want to file a NY return in order to get a refund.

This is from NY States Individual Taxpayer Answer Center

Nonresidents:

Unemployment compensation that is part of your federal adjusted gross income and derived or resulting from employment in New York State is taxable to a nonresident.

If the unemployment compensation received from New York State sources is based on wage or salary income earned partly in and partly out of New York State, figure the amount allocable to New York State in the same manner as the wage and salary income on which it is based.

I would think each state has different rules but appears NY wants you to report - normally you would then take credit on you home state tax return for the taxes paid to NY but in this case NJ does not tax unemployment so no credit would be available.

Not sure what source TurboTaxTodd is relying on - if disagree please let me know, please provide source that says otherwise.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies