Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fj7
Level 1

2022 taxes California payment

I'm owing a payment for my California tax return. If i use the online services to pay my estimated tax, do i still mail my return to the original address listed on the Turbotax instructions page: 

Franchise Tax Board
PO Box 942867
Sacramento, CA, 94267-001

Or do i send the tax return to a different address? For example, the address listed on the website for with payment and without payment are different. I'm not sure what to do. Could you please help? 

Website: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/help/contact/mailing-addresses.html

Additionally, do i still include the form 540-ES (estimated tax form) with the return after I have paid it? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Distinguish between your income tax payment which if you are mailing your return goes to the address “with payment” and your estimated tax which can either be paid online with no other action required or sent by mail with the voucher to the address listed in the voucher instructions. 

fj7
Level 1

Ah got it. Thank you! 
A follow up question, the estimated payment california form (540-ES) lists the taxable year as 2023. I'm a bit confused because shouldn't it list the taxable year as 2022 as that's the year I'm filing the taxes for. 

Is it estimating the tax I might owe for next year (2023)? The only reason I'm asking is because I was laid off in November 2022 so I was not a US resident in 2023 and I don't want to make a payment that I might not get back. 

You wouldn’t be paying estimated tax for 2022. The 2022 tax liability is paid when you send that return. Similarly you wouldn’t make estimated tax for tax year 2023. You would only make estimated tax for tax year 2024 for when you file in 2025. 

fj7
Level 1

hmm okay. So does that mean i shouldn't pay the estimated tax amount listed on the form 540-ES for taxable year 2023? (if i moved out of the US end of 2022 and will not be filing Cali taxes for 2023) 

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

If you are not going to have CA taxable income, then there is no need to pay 2023 estimated tax payments to the state. 

@fj7 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fj7
Level 1

Thank you for this! Actually another follow up question. So i was looking at my Cali taxes again and my California regular tax amount before credits is more than the amount that was withheld on my paycheque. That's why it's saying that I owe Cali taxes. But I'm a bit confused why that amount is showing up as estimated payments instead of just amount I owe for my 2022 taxes. 

Additionally side note, CA income was double taxed in New York too. And I'm getting a refund in New York because i paid too much tax there. 

Based on all the above, should i still pay California taxes for 2022? For 2023, I checked and I will only be filing a NY tax return. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It should not be showing up as an estimated tax payment.  Any balance due on your California 2022 tax return would show up on Form 540, page 5, line 114.  Having an estimated tax voucher for 2023 that is exactly the same amount might be a coincidence but is not directly related to the actual tax balance due on your 2022 income tax return.

As for the New York income, did you prepare one state as a resident return and the other as a nonresident?  Or were you a part-time resident of both California or New York? You should only be taxed once.  Typically you would report the income in the nonresident state where it is earned, and the resident state would then provide a credit for taxes paid to another state on your resident tax return.

Please see this link for more details.

If you determine the income was reported by both states, and you did not receive a credit in the resident state, you should consider amending your 2022 state tax returns to ensure you do not over pay any taxes in your resident state.  Please see this link for guidance on amending your state returns.  When you amend, be sure to go through the interview screens for the nonresident state return first.  Then proceeds through the interview screens for the resident state return.

As far as filing only in New York and not in California, since we do not have access to your tax returns or the sources of your income, we cannot provide an answer one way or the other.  It will depend upon circumstances such as where was your job located, where were the services performed for your job, were you a W-2 employee or a contractor, as well as the rules for each state.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies