turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

receipts?

I am a 72 yr old retiree and have been selling items out of my closet that I no longer need since I am not working.   I realize I will need to file a Schedule C for 2022  but I do not have receipts for these items.   Will I need to pay taxes on revenue if I cannot prove their original cost?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
tlabors
Returning Member

receipts?

i need an answer to this as well???  how much can you make in order to report?

receipts?

Selling items from your closet should not be reported on a Schedule C unless you are actually altering the items and you are creating a business of selling your clothes.

This is a sale of personal property should be reported on Form 8949 that the goes to Schedule D (this is taxed slightly differently, avoids added self-employment tax and gains can qualify for long term gain preferred tax).

For you cost ideally you would have some type of receipt but as long as it would be reasonable and you can document it then you should be okay.

For example, I have a ton of purses.  I know that in general I pay around $30 to $40 for any purse.  I've owned all of these more than 1 year.  If I were to sell one I would use the purchase date of "various" and when asked I would say it was "long term" and I'd enter $35 for the cost.  In my records (I keep notes with my return) I would make myself a note as to why I did this.  The receipt is only required if you are audited by the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies