turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year 2016: Per diem deduction. Can a self employed person deduct the per diem rate or does it have to be actual expense with receipt?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Tax Year 2016: Per diem deduction. Can a self employed person deduct the per diem rate or does it have to be actual expense with receipt?

Yes, you can deduct the per diem rate.  It goes in the Meals & Entertainment area of your business expenses. 

You can find the current Per Diem rates for the location to which you traveled at this link http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104877.  Remember to select the correct tax year (2016) from the drop down menu.

Travel, Per Diem, and More

But...can a self-employed person use the per diem rate for lodging too, when staying overnight for business out of town? Or must I submit hotel receipts for this?

For lodging only the actual expenses can be used. 

Hello. Do you know how to put it in quickbooks?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

This is a TurboTax Community.  You might want to check on the QuickBooks Community.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do I deduct 50% of the per diem rate or the full amount?
Also I'm self employed and it was for real estate rental business. I don't think there's a place for meal and entertainment for rental real estate. Would it go under Travel instead? 

Did you find an answer to the 50 percent question?

I don't remember exactly, but I believe per diem rates don't apply for investment property because the IRS doesn't view that as a business. I hope someone else an chime in to verify.

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot take a per diem deduction for investment property.  Investment property expenses must be specific and itemized by category.  Your question does not state whether this relates to rental property, land investment, or any other.  All investment property expenses must be specifically identified.  

If you would like more information please see the links below:

Small Business and rental deductions

IRS Publication 527

@leviton11

@ink-fr

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies