turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self employed student has 1099-misc for $10,000, but Turborax I need to pay taxes on full amount

I am a student, self employed, and claimed as a dependent by my parents. My 1099 for the year is  $10,243. I thought as a student under $12,200, I do not have to pay taxes. Yet Turbo Tax says I owe approx. $2,500 in federal. Please help, that does not appear to be correct. I am using TurboTax Home and Business. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Self employed student has 1099-misc for $10,000, but Turborax I need to pay taxes on full amount

Your 1099-MISC income is self-employed income and is subject to income tax AND self-employment tax.

As your income is less than the standard deduction of $12,200, you have no income tax to pay.

Self-employment tax is calculated at 15.3% of 92.35% of net self-employed income. On $10,243 income, self-employment tax is $1,447.

Please note that if your have expenses that were incurred to earn the self-employmed income, you can deduct them and you would pay less self-employment tyax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Your 1099-MISC income is self-employed income and is subject to income tax AND self-employment tax.

As your income is less than the standard deduction of $12,200, you have no income tax to pay.

Self-employment tax is calculated at 15.3% of 92.35% of net self-employed income. On $10,243 income, self-employment tax is $1,447.

Please note that if your have expenses that were incurred to earn the self-employmed income, you can deduct them and you would pay less self-employment tyax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank You, Makes sense

If you are a dependent your Standard Deduction can be less than the full 12,200.  So you might owe some regular income tax on your income.  Do you have any other income?  I wonder what the extra 1,000 tax is for if the self employment tax is only about $1,400?

Chadlove 36
Returning Member

First time for everything

Chadlove 36
Returning Member

Help my first time

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies