Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dodoherty

Self-employed health insurance

My wife and I are both self-employed filing married joint return.  We bought health insurance through the marketplace and meet the requirements to claim a health insurance deduction.  I entered the amount we paid, $2971, in the Schedule C expenses under Other Common Business Expenses->Insurance Payments->Health Insurance Premiums.   On line 17 of our Schedule 1, there is a much higher amount, $7699.  This is the same amount which also appears under Less Common Business Situations->Self Employed Health Insurance.  When I click Update for this entry is displays the message "We have deducted from your income $2971 of allowable self-employed health insurance attributed to your schedule C".    Can anyone tell me what is going on here?   We don't know where this $7699 is coming from and whether we are entitled to this deduction.   

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

It is calculated from your 1095-A entry.  You need to delete the amount of Health Insurance Premiums on your Schedule C as that line is for health insurance premiums you pay for employees through the business.  

To claim the Self-employed Health Insurance Deduction correctly, review your 1095-A entry and the box, I'm self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan on the next screen.  This will calculate the allowable Self-employed Health Insurance Deduction and any allowable Premium Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You may have entered the $2971 in the wrong place.  It doesn't go directly on Schedule C.  In fact you don't enter it at all.  The Schedule C expense is only for heath ins you paid for your employees.

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 17 then to 1040 line 10, as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 17 and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

BUT do not enter any Health Care Marketplace insurance you bought.  If you enter the 1095-A and select the "Self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan" box, it will automatically include those premiums in the SE Health Insurance section.  So you shouldn't enter it again on schedule C.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies