Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Emh2000

How much to pay in; dependents

1) How much would I expect to pay in if I made around $18,000?

2)  can I claim a dependent on a 1099?

3) I did not work this year, I have a 1 yr old. Can I still claim him and get a decent tax return? If not, can my boyfriend claim me, I am 22, and have filed since 2016. If not, can he claim my child and get a return on a 1099? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Are all of your questions about tax year 2022?

1.   What will your filing status be for 2022?   Single or head of household?   You say you will make about $18K

2022 STANDARD DEDUCTION AMOUNTS

SINGLE $12,950  (65 or older + $1750)

MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY $12,950  (65 or older + $1750)

MARRIED FILING JOINTLY $25,900  (65 or older + $1400 per spouse)

HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD  $19,400  (65 or older +$1750)

Legally Blind + $1750

2.  If you support a dependent of course you can claim the dependent, whether your income is reported on a W-2 or a 1099 of some sort.   And....there are over a dozen kinds of 1099's---what kind are you asking about?   Do you mean you will get  a 1099NEC for self-employment---or something else?

3.  I did not work this year.....If you did not work in 2022 then claiming a dependent does no good for you.   There is no 2022 stimulus money nor is there  child tax credit available for claiming a dependent if you did not work in 2022.

If your BF is the child's bio-father he can claim the child to get child-related credits.   If he is not the child's bio-father then he can claim the child as a qualified relative dependent  if he supported the child and the child lived with him the whole year ---- but he can only get the $500 credit for other dependents---no other child - related credits are available to him if the child is not related to him. 

If you have less than $4350 for your 2022 income and lived with BF the WHOLE year, he can also claim you and get the $500 credit for other dependents.

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2021 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,300 in 2021.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Emh2000

1) He would file head of household. He works a chicken farm, so I guess self employment 1099, other than that not sure. He had 2-3 other jobs so he will have those W-2s. 
2) He is biological dad, so he can claim him instead of me since I haven’t worked.

3) yes he has provided financially and we live together, have for the past 2 years so he can file that for me also!

4) can he do the free turbo tax when filing for the 1099?

Thank you! 

@Emh2000 The Free Edition does not support self-employment income.   If you want to use TurboTax you either need online Self-Employed or any version of the CD/download in order to prepare a Schedule C for the self-employment income.

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies