turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated quarterly taxes from last year's return

How do I use last year's Tax Return to figure out my estimated quarterly taxes? I have W2 and 1099 income. Am I correct in thinking that I could take last year's tax from my 1099 income and pay 110% of that (split into quarters) to avoid penalties this year? If so, how do I find the tax liability that came only from the 1099 component?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Michele_H
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @actax1 There are several tools available to help you determine how much you should pay quarterly.

General rule is you pay 15.3% Self employment tax plus Federal and State taxes (these figures are based on your tax bracket) on your business profit if you are a Sole proprietor, Single member LLC or a partnership.  

Here is a helpful tool to determine what you could possibly owe at the end of the year.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! Do you know how I can follow these instructions for last year's tax return? I'm currently not able to search for "1040-ES" to jump to the document.

When you prepare your 2020 return, we'll automatically calculate your 2021 estimated tax payments and prepare 1040-ES vouchers if we think you may be at risk for an underpayment penalty next year.

You can also calculate your 2021 estimated taxes and generate the payment vouchers by doing this:

1. With your tax return open, search for 1040-es (be sure to include the dash) and select the Jump to link.
  2. Answer No to the question Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2021?
  3. Answer the questions about things like your 2021 filing status, income, and deductions.
  4. Eventually, you'll come to the Print Vouchers? screen. Answer Yes and we'll include your 2021 1040-ES payment vouchers when you print a copy of your return later.

@actax1 wrote:

Thank you! Do you know how I can follow these instructions for last year's tax return? I'm currently not able to search for "1040-ES" to jump to the document.

When you prepare your 2020 return, we'll automatically calculate your 2021 estimated tax payments and prepare 1040-ES vouchers if we think you may be at risk for an underpayment penalty next year.

You can also calculate your 2021 estimated taxes and generate the payment vouchers by doing this:

1. With your tax return open, search for 1040-es (be sure to include the dash) and select the Jump to link.
  2. Answer No to the question Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2021?
  3. Answer the questions about things like your 2021 filing status, income, and deductions.
  4. Eventually, you'll come to the Print Vouchers? screen. Answer Yes and we'll include your 2021 1040-ES payment vouchers when you print a copy of your return later.

Using the TurboTax desktop editions -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using the Home & Business edition)

Click on Other Tax Situations

Scroll down to Other Tax Forms

On Form W-4 and estimated taxes, click on the start or update button

1. Answer No to the question Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2021?
  2. Answer the questions about things like your 2021 filing status, income, and deductions.
  3. Eventually, you'll come to the Print Vouchers? screen. Answer Yes and we'll include your 2021 1040-ES payment vouchers when you print a copy of your return later.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies