turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need a separate EIN for my sole proprietor business if I have an EIN as a household employer?

Hello. I am a household employer with an EIN to report taxes on my Schedule H. If I start a new business as a sole proprietor, do I need a new EIN?

IRS publications confirms the reverse, where a sole proprietor can use an exiting EIN for household employees. I can't seem to find info for my situation.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Do I need a separate EIN for my sole proprietor business if I have an EIN as a household employer?

If your  household employee is not an employee of your sole proprietorship, you should get a new additional EIN so that the records can be properly maintained.

See Publication 1635, Employer Identification Number - Understanding Your EIN.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If your  household employee is not an employee of your sole proprietorship, you should get a new additional EIN so that the records can be properly maintained.

See Publication 1635, Employer Identification Number - Understanding Your EIN.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

• Hi, I have the same queation. When I applied for an EIN for my sole proprietorship on the IRS website, it says its unable to provide me with an EIN, with reference 101. I have an EIN already as household employer. So I'm wondering what did you end up doing to solve this problem? 

Hi. When I go to apply for a new EIN per advice here, I got an error as you did. I end up calling IRS Business Service to try to apply for an EIN over the phone. The agent told me I don't need another EIN and use my household employer EIN for all my sole proprietor businesses.

Hope that helps.

Got it, thank you! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies