turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Code W on 2021 W-2

Hello,

When I filed for my 2021 taxes (via Turbotax of course) I was prohibited from the free service because of Box 12 on my W-2 form stating: Code W , $73.10.  Turbotax stated in an automated message at the time that the $73.10 was for a healthcare insurance plan and that I may have that returned to me.  I contacted my employer and they had no idea what I should do to receive that amount. First of all, what is Code W and how do I go about getting a reimbursement? Thank you, Irene

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GabriellaEA
Employee Tax Expert

Code W on 2021 W-2

Hi Irene! Code W in Box 12 of your W-2 is used to report employer contributions to your health savings account. If you'd like to withdraw from your health savings account, you should first contact the employer to find out who they use as the health savings account (HSA) provider. Then, you can contact the HSA provider to see about having funds withdrawn. If you use the HSA funds to pay for or reimburse yourself for qualified medical expenses, they can be withdrawn tax and penalty free.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GabriellaEA
Employee Tax Expert

Code W on 2021 W-2

Hi Irene! Code W in Box 12 of your W-2 is used to report employer contributions to your health savings account. If you'd like to withdraw from your health savings account, you should first contact the employer to find out who they use as the health savings account (HSA) provider. Then, you can contact the HSA provider to see about having funds withdrawn. If you use the HSA funds to pay for or reimburse yourself for qualified medical expenses, they can be withdrawn tax and penalty free.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Code W on 2021 W-2

Thank you so much, Gabriella! Much appreciated! Cheers, Irene

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies