Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If we are married, filing jointly, retired couple and my husband did a side hustle for a friend who paid him $2411.25. do we file a 1099 misc?

My husband worked a side hustle for a friend--4-hours a day, and a friend paid him the money after the job was completed.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If we are married, filing jointly, retired couple and my husband did a side hustle for a friend who paid him $2411.25. do we file a 1099 misc?

No, you don't need to file a 1099-Misc.  The person who paid your husband likely should have filed a form 1099-NEC (non- employee compensation) and provided a copy of that form to your husband to use to complete his/your tax return.  Your husband performed a service, was paid for that service, but was not an employee; so that income is considered self-employed income.  You will enter that income in the federal "Wages & Income" section using the "Self-employment" topic.

There you will have the opportunity to also enter/deduct any expenses he may have had in earning that income.          

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

No, you don't need to file a 1099-Misc.  The person who paid your husband likely should have filed a form 1099-NEC (non- employee compensation) and provided a copy of that form to your husband to use to complete his/your tax return.  Your husband performed a service, was paid for that service, but was not an employee; so that income is considered self-employed income.  You will enter that income in the federal "Wages & Income" section using the "Self-employment" topic.

There you will have the opportunity to also enter/deduct any expenses he may have had in earning that income.          

Our friend didn't give us a 1099; the friend said he put it under as expenses paid for general labor (his accountant did). So where do I put this? Do I place it as an extra income. My husband only did this job once and done.

That is self employment income to your husband.  It goes on Schedule C.   Just enter it as Other self employment income or as Cash or General income. You don't need to get a 1099MISC, 1099NEC or 1099K. Even if you did you can enter all your income as Cash. Only the total goes to schedule C. 

You can enter Self Employment Income into Online Deluxe but if you have any expenses you will have to upgrade to Premium version. Or use any of the Desktop CD/Download programs.

How to enter income from Self Employment
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you report the income for services performed with or without a tax reporting document.  You can decide if it is a hobby or a self employment activity.

This IRS link will help you: Business or Hobby?

Key elements:

1. A hobby requires you to report the income you received and under the current tax law, Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), no expenses are allowed to be used to reduce the money collected even if you itemize deductions.
  2. A business allows you to deduct the costs necessary to obtain the income.  The law explains that 'you must be engaged in the activity to produce a profit'.  The test under IRS tax law is that you must show a profit three out of every five consecutive years to be considered a business.

If you decide it is a hobby you can report your hobby income using the steps below.

Other Miscellaneous Income:

1. Go to the Wages and Income  section of TurboTax
  2. Scroll to  Less Common Income > Select  Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  3. Select Hobby Income and ExpenseEnter the income

@psmith321-421don 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies