Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

robbienich88
Returning Member

I am self-employed. Should I file jointly with my husband who has 1 W2, using Deluxe, or married-separately and use online Self-Employed? Which online feature is best?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am self-employed. Should I file jointly with my husband who has 1 W2, using Deluxe, or married-separately and use online Self-Employed? Which online feature is best?

You should still file a Joint return.  You can enter Self Employment Income into Online Deluxe or Premier but if you have any expenses you will have to upgrade to the Self Employed version or use any of the Desktop CD/Download programs. All the Desktop programs have the same forms.  You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions.

How to enter income from Self Employment

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

In most all cases filing Married Filing Jointly provides a better outcome on your tax return.  You will need to use the TurboTax online Self-Employed edition since you have SE income and expenses to enter.  The Self-Employed edition can be used for both your SE and your spouse's W-2.

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Regarding which option is best, MFJ versus MFS, sometimes the only way to know which filing status results in the best tax outcome is to prepare returns under both filing status' and then compare the results.   One thing to keep in mind regarding filing MFJ, if you later decide that MFS is the better option, you can amend your return and change your filing status to MFS, but you must do so before the April deadline (no extensions are allowed in connection with a change from MFJ to MFS).  Moreover, given your tax situation, you and your spouse would also need to file separate amended returns with the filing status of MFS.  

The reverse situation however is not as limiting.  For example, if you both elect to file MFS, and then later change your mind that MFJ is the better option, you have three years from the due date of your return to file an amended return with the filing status of MFJ.  This deadline does not include any filing extensions.  Additionally,  in this scenario, only one spouse's return needs to be amended, as the income/information from the other spouse is merely being added to the amended return. 

@robbienich88 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies