daniellopez0807

Commute Miles vs Business Miles

Good Morning, 

I have registered my home as my office since that is where I do most of my online work, paperwork, etc. I also completely own my car, with no payments, and no leasing. Since I have to meet clients on a regular basis in the afternoons, I have to drive to them and then back home. Since my home is established as my office in my business registration, are the miles that I add to my car when I go meet clients considered business miles? And can I report it as a round trip since I have to go back to my office/home? 

JandKit

Commute Miles vs Business Miles

Hi daneillopez0807,

You are absolutely correct. Since your home is your office from which you work, the IRS will allow you to claim the mileage from your home to meet your client and back home again. Please be sure to keep complete mileage records using an app or make the notations before, during and after completion of your trip. The mileage rate for business this year is 58.5cents per mile for the 1st 6 months and 62.5 cents per mile for the last half of the year.

JandKit

Commute Miles vs Business Miles

Hi daneillopez0807,

daniellopez0807

Commute Miles vs Business Miles

Perfect! Thank you so much. I keep track of my miles on Quickbooks, is that enough or do I also need to take pictures or use another app?