Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Church gave me 1099 NEC but I am NOT self employed, nor independent contractor. I am their administrative assistant. Salary was less than $8400. I am not a business. HELP

They used to give me W-2, but quit, but I cannot deduct anything. I was employed by them to work fifteen hours per week. I used their office, their equipment, just showed up to work as from 2018-2022.  2023 was not given W2.  I cannot afford to pay all that $$$... businesses and contractors have DEDUCTIONS. I DO NOT.   What can I do? Please HELP me.  (I also just started receiving SS retirement  monthly).   Signed: Hyperventilating in AR.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Church gave me 1099 NEC but I am NOT self employed, nor independent contractor. I am their administrative assistant. Salary was less than $8400. I am not a business. HELP

If you are getting a 1099 form instead of a W-2 and think you should be classified as an employee, you should first contact your employer to be reclassified correctly. 

If the employer disagrees, you can have the IRS make the determination. You’ll need to file Form SS-8: Determination of Worker Status for Purposes of Federal Employment Taxes and Income Tax Withholding. You might also need to file a Form 8919: Uncollected Social Security and Medicare Tax on Wages to report and pay your share of these taxes.

Am I an employee or an independent contractor?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies