Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Baby-sitting and Tutoring

I would estimate that I make about $5k extra a year babysitting and tutoring, mainly throughout the school-year months. What will I need to do about this come tax season? Will I need to add it as miscellaneous income, will I need a 1099-K form? Payments typically come from Venmo, from a multitude of families, with very few instances of allowing me to be paid in cash. 

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Baby-sitting and Tutoring

Hi @malloryreynolds3! It sounds like you've got two separate side gigs that can be reported as self-employment income. Depending on the regularity of each, they could also be hobbies. The first thing you'll want to do to prepare for tax time is to keep good records of the income you receive for babysitting and for tutoring, regardless of how you're paid. If you receive $600 or more in payments from a platform such as Venmo, you should expect to receive a 1099-K that reports all the income you received for the year through that particular platform. You can then verify that income against your records and report the income on your tax return either as self-employment income or as hobby income, depending on your circumstances. If you're self-employed, you can also claim applicable expenses that you have for this work, if any.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Privacy Settings