Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

2021 Tax forms

I filed my taxes thru Turbotax last year.  The IRS changed my amount of refund to $2800 less than what was on on my tax return.  How can I avoid this on my taxes this year?

1 Reply
Level 15

2021 Tax forms

If your refund is short $2,800 then that is because you said you did not receive the 3rd stimulus payment and the IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the $2,800 Recovery Rebate Credit that was entered on Form 1040 Line 30.

Go to this IRS website for your tax account to see if the 3rd stimulus payment is entered -
If you are Married Filing Jointly also check your spouse's tax account.

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a $2,800 EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment -


The Recovery Rebate Credit is only used for stimulus payments not received.  There are no stimulus payments in 2022 so the Recovery Rebate Credit will not be on the 2022 federal tax return.

Privacy Settings