turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cb1alt
Returning Member

1099-NEC

I'm a real estate agent and get paid with 1099-NEC for commissions earned.  When I close a transaction, a portion of my commission goes to the broker and the 1099's only reflect the portion that comes to me.  Since I earned all of the commission and am paying my broker his split, can I somehow deduct the broker's split as a business expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

1099-NEC

Depends.  If you report the full gross amount as income you can deduct all expenses including his split.  BUT  if you only report the net amount on the 1099NEC then NO, you can not deduct the broker expenses.  It was already deducted.

cb1alt
Returning Member

1099-NEC

I report all of the amount noted on box 1 of the 1099.  I negotiate for the client to pay for commissions  There is a disbursement letter sent to the escrow company signed by my broker so I can get a check mailed to me and the rest is sent to my broker. The amount noted on box 1 of the 1099 is the commission paid to me AFTER the broker split. Point being is that I generate ALL of the commission and am paying a percentage to the broker. Same question, can I deduct the broker's split as a business expense?  Thank you for your help.

1099-NEC

No.  Not unless you first report the whole amount BEFORE the broker split.  You either report the gross income and the expenses OR the Net income on the 1099 which has the broker expense already deducted.   

cb1alt
Returning Member

1099-NEC

Understood, thank you very much for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies