turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi I'm under the traditional and roth IRA contribution section. Is this where I put my 401K contributions?

Hi I'm under the traditional and roth IRA contribution section. Is this where I put my 401K contributions? Or is it already factored into my 401K?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rainydaze

Hi I'm under the traditional and roth IRA contribution section. Is this where I put my 401K contributions?

Your 401k contributions have already been accounted for on your W-2.  Do not enter your 401k contributions in the IRA section, as it will cause errors.  

I see that my 401(k) is on my W-2. How does that account for it as tax deductible? Other deductions appear on their respective 1099* tax forms and we still have to record them in our tax returns. 

My bad. Re-read your post. The 401(k) contribution is in its own W-2 AND reflected in in Box 1 income. My bad. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Box 1 of your W-2 will be lower than the amounts in boxes 3 and 5 by the amount of your pre-tax 401K contributions in box 12 code D.

So you recognize that the 401K contributions are pre-tax when you enter the box 1 number into your tax return.

(It is always possible that your individual W-2 has other codes or issues that affect these numbers.)

See also here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies