turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DesertLawn
Returning Member

With Married Filing Joint, My husband contributed to 401K at work, I made only $5000 last year, Can I contribute to the traditional IRA in 2017 Tax filing? How much

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

With Married Filing Joint, My husband contributed to 401K at work, I made only $5000 last year, Can I contribute to the traditional IRA in 2017 Tax filing? How much

You may contribute up to $5500 ($6500 if age 50+). You are not limited to your $5000, since your spouse has compensation too.

The contribution may be deductible if your joint AGI is less than $186,000 and partially deductible if under $196,000.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You may contribute up to $5500 ($6500 if age 50+). You are not limited to your $5000, since your spouse has compensation too.

The contribution may be deductible if your joint AGI is less than $186,000 and partially deductible if under $196,000.

DS30

It depends -

The ability to make a deductible IRA contribution depends on such factors as your filing status, your level of income and if you have a retirement plan through your employer (or your spouse's employer). Click this link for the IRA phase-out limitations - https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/ira-deduction-limits

If you qualify, you still have time to make contributions to an IRA that you can deduct on your 2017 tax return. When making this contribution, you will need to indicate that your contribution is for the 2017 tax year.

You have until April 16, 2018 for make contributions to an IRA for 2017 tax year.

For more information about IRA contributions and limitations, please refer to this IRS link:

https://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Plan-Participant,-Employee/Retirement-Topics-IRA-Contribution-L...

Go into TurboTax and run a couple of scenarios with various amounts of contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies