Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is my wife's nursing home costs deductible Needs total care. No earned income. Severe PD and dementia. Income from IRA's and SS.

She is totally incapable of taking care of herself and I am not physically able to continue caring for her at home. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is my wife's nursing home costs deductible Needs total care. No earned income. Severe PD and dementia. Income from IRA's and SS.

Yes, in certain instances nursing home expenses are allowable as medical expenses.  If you - or someone who was your spouse or your dependent - is in a nursing home primarily for medical care, then the entire cost including meals and lodging is deductible as a medical expense.

If the individual is in the home mainly for personal reasons, then only the cost of the actual medical care is deductible as a medical expense, not the cost of the meals and lodging.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, in certain instances nursing home expenses are allowable as medical expenses.  If you - or someone who was your spouse or your dependent - is in a nursing home primarily for medical care, then the entire cost including meals and lodging is deductible as a medical expense.

If the individual is in the home mainly for personal reasons, then only the cost of the actual medical care is deductible as a medical expense, not the cost of the meals and lodging.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies