Would line 12a state how much I put into my 401k to open it or just how much my employer removed from my paycheck?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

It will just list the contribution amounts they removed from your paycheck..

The $$ rolled in from another retirement account are not really a "contribution" and don't get entered there.  IF you get a 1099-R for that "rollover" or transfer, from another retirement account, you will enter that 1099-R ,and carefully answer the followup pages about with you did with the distribution  (there are a couple of transfer/rollover selections on the pages that follow the main 1099-R form entries in the software) 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*