lonewolf695

Will the People's First Initiative protect my taxes from being offset if I filed before it was in effect?

ColeenD3

Owing the government money is never fun. Usually, the government will come after your tax refund to offset money you owe. That might have you thinking your stimulus check might be up for grabs as well if you’ve got a tax debt to Uncle Sam. 

The good news is, stimulus checks likely won’t be seized to pay a tax debt. The only time they will be withheld is when an individual owes child support money.

Offset

lonewolf695

lonewolf695

What if I filed jointly and I don't owe CPS but my wife does from before we were married?

JohnW222

Yes, this debt will likely be an offset from any refund you have coming.

However, you might consider filing what's known as an Injured Spouse Allocation.  You can file this form even after you've filed your return, and it can result in recouping the "Injured Spouse's" portion of the refund.

For more information, please see the TurboTax article "What is IRS Form 8379: Injured Spouse Allocation".

Then, see What if I've already filed my tax return? in  the TurboTax Help article How do I file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation?for guidance.