Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

iecni

Wife was treated for cancer out of state for 15 months. Can I deduct my trips to assist her with the treatments?

My wife changed her permanent address to Omaha, NE for insurance coverage purposes. I traveled to Omaha every weekend to attend treatments, take her necessary items, clothing, pay bills, etc. Are any of my travel and hotel expenses deductible in assisting her with care and treatment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Wife was treated for cancer out of state for 15 months. Can I deduct my trips to assist her with the treatments?

Yes, you can deduct $50 per night for your own lodging to assist with your wife's medical care. 

You can't deduct meals.

Here is the language from the IRS: 

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for transportation to another city if the trip is primarily for, and essential to, receiving medical services. You may be able to include up to $50 for each night for each person. You can include lodging for a person traveling with the person receiving the medical care. 

For the source and more information: 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you can deduct $50 per night for your own lodging to assist with your wife's medical care. 

You can't deduct meals.

Here is the language from the IRS: 

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for transportation to another city if the trip is primarily for, and essential to, receiving medical services. You may be able to include up to $50 for each night for each person. You can include lodging for a person traveling with the person receiving the medical care. 

For the source and more information: 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies