Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why no Medicare tax form 8959

Employer withheld the 0.9% Additional Medicare Tax, but wages do NOT exceed the threshold for our filing status. I believe Turbotax detected the excess tax because it asked me to verify the Medicare wage and tax figures, so why didn't it generate a form 8959?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You can give the phone people a call to see if they can give you some help with finding a workaround to correct the problem.  You can do this at 800-4INTUIT.  

I was able to reproduce your issue and what is happening is that the form is being populated in the background and using the desktop program, the form can be searched for in forms mode and viewed.  The numbers on form 8595 are accurate but the form is not linking to the form 1040.  We have sent this to be investigated further, but there would not be any fix that is released for this filing season.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I am pretty confident this is a software bug. Tested with imported W2s, and got no prompt to verify info and no 8959. Tested manually entered W2s, and got prompted to verify medicare figures, but got no 8959. Interestingly, went back and added $500 to the medicare tax withheld and got no prompt to verify, and still no 8959. Tested with both sets of W2 figures combined on one fake manually entered W2, and the 8959 generated successfully, but that would not stand up to an IRS electronic audit. Humph. Now I can't get Turbo to generate a 1040X for me to get back the extra funds because none of my figures have actually changed! Double humph.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You can give the phone people a call to see if they can give you some help with finding a workaround to correct the problem.  You can do this at 800-4INTUIT.  

I was able to reproduce your issue and what is happening is that the form is being populated in the background and using the desktop program, the form can be searched for in forms mode and viewed.  The numbers on form 8595 are accurate but the form is not linking to the form 1040.  We have sent this to be investigated further, but there would not be any fix that is released for this filing season.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply. Given your comment about "in the background" I went looking harder in Turbo. I had been in forms mode many times, but I never expected the "open form" button would have any forms that contained my information unless they were included in the list of forms pertinent to my return. I wish I had seen that populated copy of 8959 in the back before I spent many hours researching the topic because I thought I must be making a mistake or missing something. At least now I feel validated, but I still have to generate and file a 1040X, and probably wait 6 or 9 months for the refund. I appreciate your explanation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies