Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seano5

Why is the federal income that was withheld from me not the same amount that i'm getting as a federal return?

amount that was withheld is $7,279.61 and the refund i'm getting is only $1,361.00.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Why is the federal income that was withheld from me not the same amount that i'm getting as a federal return?

There's no particular reason why you should get all your withheld taxes refunded,   Why do you think you should get it all back?

People who make over certain amount of income will end up with the Govt keeping some or all of their withholding...some folks even have to pay more at tax time!!

If line 15 on your form 1040 has a positive number in it, then you usually have a tax liability (line 16), and the IRS will keep some or all of your prior withholding.

Now...if you have dependents....the generous Covid rules for the various child tax credits have changed back to ~ those from before covid hit.....So your child tax credits may now be reduced.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies