Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does Turbotax Free Edition now consider "retirement savings contribution credit" a disqualifying factor for the free edition? past 5 years this was not an issue

I have been employed in the U.S. Military on Active Duty for 20 years and I have never had an issue with filing until this year with this software. It appears that they edited their software as stated on their website:

Some of the situations that are now in TurboTax Deluxe and TurboTax Live Deluxe, instead of in Free Edition, include:

Unemployment income
Retirement Savings Contribution Credit for 401(k) and IRA contributions
Education credits
Child Dependent Care Credit

So now a contribution to our retirement plan in the U.S. Military DISQUALIFIES US from the tax service ADVERTISED as FREE to U.S. Military members? And in addition, if you contributed to a 401(k) or IRA you are now locked behind a pay wall? What a crock. I will not be using this company moving forward and I will be advising ALL military members to NEVER use this service as they are predatory toward military service members. If you are in the U.S. Military, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH TURBOTAX. I know, it's not really a question at this point because I answered it as I was working on writing the question but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Why does Turbotax Free Edition now consider "retirement savings contribution credit" a disqualifying factor for the free edition? past 5 years this was not an issue

MILITARY DISCOUNT

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/military-edition.jsp

(There are no military discounts on “Live” versions, thee CD/download or on add-on features)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies