Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rtpokorny

Why does my wife's RMD from her 403b account show up as pension money and not as an RMD withdrawal?

My wife has a 403b account from her previous employer.  After entering the 1099 info, the amount shows up as a pension amount and not as an RMD.  How do I correct this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Why does my wife's RMD from her 403b account show up as pension money and not as an RMD withdrawal?

TurboTax is reporting your 403(b) distribution correctly.

A 403(b) is a type of qualified retirement plan.  All distributions from qualified retirement plans are required to be reported on Form 1040 line 16 or Form 1040A line 12, along with distributions from other qualified retirement plans like pensions and any distributions from nonqualified plans.

Form 1040 line 15 and Form 1040A line 11 is exclusively for reporting distributions from IRAs.  A 403(b) is not an IRA.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax is reporting your 403(b) distribution correctly.

A 403(b) is a type of qualified retirement plan.  All distributions from qualified retirement plans are required to be reported on Form 1040 line 16 or Form 1040A line 12, along with distributions from other qualified retirement plans like pensions and any distributions from nonqualified plans.

Form 1040 line 15 and Form 1040A line 11 is exclusively for reporting distributions from IRAs.  A 403(b) is not an IRA.

And nothing shows up as an RMD withdrawal on the tax form.  RMD just means the amount you took.  An RMD can be either for an IRA or Pension or 401k or 403b accounts.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies