frolapal1

Where does one enter contributions to a defined benefit plan?

It's not a 401k plan

MichaelDC

1.       Login and click Take me to my return

2.       On the left menu, under 2017 Taxes, select the Federal 

3.       Select the Income & Expenses tab along the top. To get to the full listing of Income and Expenses you may be asked to, "select options that apply to you," click Continue and then Check for more tax breaks, then See list of all tax breaks

4.       Scroll down to the Other Business Situations section and click the blue hyperlink Show more

5.       Click Start/Revisit next to Self-Employed Retirement Plans

6.       Next, answer the questions to enter your retirement.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section. 

MichaelDC

Are you Self-Employed?
frolapal1

I am and I set up a defined benefit plan through a third-party administrator
MichaelDC

Excellent. Let me know if you need anything else.
gruse

The only defined benefit plan entry I see is "Defined Benefit Keogh" I don't think my defined benefit plan is a Keogh. Does it matter? Is it correct to enter it here?
MichaelDC

jnk

This is not helpful. Defined benefit plans are not listed. The only ones listed are:Keogh,SEP, SIMPLE, and 401(k)s. None of these options is correct.
mbsweet25

I am having the same problem. When the software asks for the Box 14 Code R detail on the K-1, there is no option for a defined benefit plan that is not a Keogh.
wesleygaschler

Has anyone else figured out where to put defined benefit contributions into the software. I have called intuit, talked to a customer service rep, as well as one of their CPA's and they were not able to give me an answer

Ok ... as asked of all the other posters ....  are you an employee or self employed ?   Do you have a partnership or corporation ?   Are you completing a personal return ?  

wesleygaschler

For everyone above who didn't get an answer above, I believe that the defined benefit contribution goes under "Keogh Defined Benefit" under the self employed 401k section in turbotax as this populates on to Form 1040 Line 28 which per IRS notification this is the correct place to input this number. 

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/self-employed-individuals-calculating-your-own-retirement-plan-...