Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TomD8
Level 15

Where do i enter tax free income

@MichaelEgan007  --

I would just note that, if you look at the DD2293 form itself, the only signature it requires is that of the applicant (you).   As a matter of fact it specifically says that the form should not be signed by the servicemember.  Perhaps the form has changed since you last applied?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
MichaelEgan007
Returning Member

Ok. Things must have changed from 20 years ago. I'll give it another shot. I agree, this would make things much easier but I called dfas decades ago for assistance in getting her to sign it and there was nothing they could offer and after several tries, I just gave up. Thanks for the information! I'm filling out the form right now. 

TomD8
Level 15

You should also read the FAQ "How does a former spouse apply for direct payments under the USFSPA?" on this DFAS website for more info on how to apply:

https://www.dfas.mil/garnishment/usfspa/faqs/

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
MichaelEgan007
Returning Member

From what I just read, My application for dfas to garnish her retirement can not be filed anymore. It appears to say that this needed to have been done within 90 days of the divorce decree date. I'm sure I'm reading things wrong because my head doesn't work like it did before getting disabled. 

TomD8
Level 15

I can't find any 90-day deadline for filing DD2293 in the DFAS instructions.  Can you say where you saw that?

I do note that DFAS is required to begin payments to the former spouse within 90 days after it receives a complete and satisfactory application.  Perhaps that is what you saw?

MichaelEgan007
Returning Member

Yes, that is what I saw. Thank you for assisting me with this. It's so frustrating for me anymore, not understanding what I'm reading and not being able to even say sentences without long pauses while I try to find the word I'm looking for. Thank you again for helping me. 

TomD8
Level 15

You're welcome.  I do think that getting DFAS to pay you directly will make things easier for both you and your former spouse.  Good luck!

MichaelEgan007
Returning Member

Despite the divorce decree ordering a specific division of my exes military retirement to me, a very large can of worms has been opened, concerning the method in which she has chosen to comply with the divorce decree. 

She has paid me by personal check for the better part of 20 years (check for most of those years and more recently she switched to using zelle) 

I have never received a 1099

It has been suggested in this forum that due to my divorce lawyer and the judge not being proficient with military disbursement procedures, and my obvious ignorance in military procedures, this 20+ year old situation is an absolute dumpster fire.

It has also been suggested that I would need to hire a divorce lawyer as well as a cpa who are both knowledgeable in the areas detailed above to fix this dumpster fire but in my current state of affairs, my income simply can not support these suggestions. 

I'm nearly 60 and a homebound disabled person who receives food stamps and can barely pay my rent. I don't see how this can be properly fixed without this legal assistance coming to me pro Bono. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

This TurboTax web site does not provide legal assistance. Here are a couple of web sites that might help you find free legal help. The bar association or the court system in your state might also be able to refer you to a pro bono lawyer.

I Need Legal Help

LawHelp.org

MichaelEgan007
Returning Member

Thank you for the information. 

I apologize if it appeared that I was looking for legal assistance here. I assure you, I was not. Only stating that I couldn't afford legal assistance and my issues can not be resolved with legal assistance unless it was pro Bono. 

Thanks again...

Ask your ex if she could help.  It would be good for her.  If you get your payments directly from DFAS she can stop paying you.   Do you know if she deducts what she pays you on her tax return?  If you haven't been reporting it all these years why are you asking about reporting it now?  What did the tax preparer do with it?  Does it show up anywhere on your 2021> returns?  

MichaelEgan007
Returning Member

We are not on speaking terms and haven't been since the divorce. I have no idea what she enters on her tax return. I'm asking about it now because the question was raised about whether or not it is tax free income from a non IRS entity. After being provided with the divorce decree, my tax preparers never in 20 years have entered it on my tax returns and the IRS told me that it wasn't required to be reported and I'm in no position to argue with anyone on whether or not that's true. I'm disabled and I have to trust people more than I want to and I don't feel qualified really, to argue with anyone about tax laws. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies