Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jeangear

I need to report an IRA rollover. I can't find where to show it as a rollover.

I have a 1099-R.  It shows the full amount taxable but the full amount was rolled over.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

When you enter the 1099-R into TurboTax, notice the code in Box 7.  The codes for a direct rollover are "G" or "H" (if a Roth).  TurboTax will pick up on this code and your distribution won't be taxable.

If this was an indirect rollover -- meaning you physically got the check and deposited the funds into another retirement account within 60 days -- then you'll answer TurboTax's question about what you did with the money by checking the box that says you moved the money to another retirement account.  That will also result in it not being included in taxable income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ThomasM

When you enter the 1099-R into TurboTax, notice the code in Box 7.  The codes for a direct rollover are "G" or "H" (if a Roth).  TurboTax will pick up on this code and your distribution won't be taxable.

If this was an indirect rollover -- meaning you physically got the check and deposited the funds into another retirement account within 60 days -- then you'll answer TurboTax's question about what you did with the money by checking the box that says you moved the money to another retirement account.  That will also result in it not being included in taxable income.

Wooster
Returning Member

I took the distribution then found out that I did not have to because of the Covid ruling. I rolled it back into the same IRA. Where do I show that on Turbo-Tax?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

The IRS now says that anyone who took an RMD from an IRA or 401(k) plan in 2020 can repay the withdrawn funds – even if the withdrawal was in January.  Tax-free rollovers are also now available for 2020 RMDs taken by beneficiaries of inherited IRAs.

If this was an indirect rollover -- meaning you physically got the check and deposited the funds into another retirement account within 60 days -- then you'll answer TurboTax's question about what you did with the money by checking the box that says you moved the money to another retirement account.  That will also result in it not being included in taxable income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies