Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will my IRA retirement account payer advise me of my RMD?

I will be 70 in Sept. 2019. When will my retirement account payer tell me my RMD? Since I will be 70.5 in 2020, I may take my first RMD in 2020, rather than take 2 in 2021.

If I decide to take 2 distributions in 2021, why does the IRS require the first RMD be taken by April 14, 2021 and the second by Dec. 31, 2021? I know that the distributions are based on IRA values at the end of 2 different years. I would have thought both RMD's would have to be taken by Dec. 31, 2021. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

The IRA custodian will inform you at the beginning of 2020 that an RMD is required for 2020.  They will either automatically calculate the required RMD amount for you or must do so upon request.  You can have them make this distribution to you any time between January 1, 2020 and April 1 2021 (not April 14).  However, if you intend for this distribution to be made as a Qualified Charitable Distribution paid to a charity you must wait until March 2020 until you have actually reached age 70½.

The law allowes you delay your first RMD until April 1 of the year following the year in which you reach age 70½ but does not allow you to delay RMDs for subsequent years beyond the end of the year for which the RMD must be made.  Were it not for the law allowing your first RMD to be delayed, your first RMD would be required to be made by December 31, 2020.  Why the law was written this way, I'm not sure, but it does provide you with flexibility as to which year's income will include the RMD.  Your first RMD does not have to be taken all in 2020 or all in 2021, you can make multiple distributions between January 1, 2020 and April 1,2021 to satisfy your 2020 RMD.  Just remember than any distribution you make after 2020 begins is RMD until your RMD for 2020 is fully satisfied.  RMDs cannot be rolled over or converted to Roth.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The IRA custodian will inform you at the beginning of 2020 that an RMD is required for 2020.  They will either automatically calculate the required RMD amount for you or must do so upon request.  You can have them make this distribution to you any time between January 1, 2020 and April 1 2021 (not April 14).  However, if you intend for this distribution to be made as a Qualified Charitable Distribution paid to a charity you must wait until March 2020 until you have actually reached age 70½.

The law allowes you delay your first RMD until April 1 of the year following the year in which you reach age 70½ but does not allow you to delay RMDs for subsequent years beyond the end of the year for which the RMD must be made.  Were it not for the law allowing your first RMD to be delayed, your first RMD would be required to be made by December 31, 2020.  Why the law was written this way, I'm not sure, but it does provide you with flexibility as to which year's income will include the RMD.  Your first RMD does not have to be taken all in 2020 or all in 2021, you can make multiple distributions between January 1, 2020 and April 1,2021 to satisfy your 2020 RMD.  Just remember than any distribution you make after 2020 begins is RMD until your RMD for 2020 is fully satisfied.  RMDs cannot be rolled over or converted to Roth.

Excellent info. Thanks @dmertz
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies