When I report alimony payments, do I also include the portion my former spouse receives from DFAS on 1099, or only the additional amount I send via check?

My former spouse receives a total of $3400/month.  A percentage of that amount is paid directly to her from DFAS, with a 1009.  I pay the difference via personal check each month.  When I go to report alimony payments on my taxes, do I report only the total amount of the personal checks over the year and exclude the amount she gets from DFAS?

Since your former spouse is receiving a Form 1099-R from DFAS she would be reporting that income on her income tax return as pension income.  You would not include that amount as Alimony Paid.

The additional payment you send for alimony should be reported on your tax return as Alimony Paid.  On her tax return she would report that as Alimony Received.

To report Alimony Paid -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits
  • On Alimony Paid, click the start or update button

Or enter alimony paid in the Search box in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to alimony paid

To report Alimony Paid -

• Click on Deductions and Credits