Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gb11

When I enter Individual 401k "elective deferrals," my tax due decreases as one would expect. But when I enter "employer matching contributions," it does not go down. Why?

I am self-employed and have a solo 401k.

When I add the proper amount to the "elective deferrals" box, the "federal tax due" amount decreases. This makes sense since this is tax-deductible.

However, when I add my "employer matching (profit sharing) contributions," this has no impact on the "federal tax due" amount.

My understanding is that, for self-employed people, both employee and employer 401k contributions are tax deductible. Is this incorrect?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

When I enter Individual 401k "elective deferrals," my tax due decreases as one would expect. But when I enter "employer matching contributions," it does not go down. Why?

Addressed in the comments.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Has the sum of your elective deferrals and employer contribution exceeded the permissible deductible amount calculated on the Keogh, SEP and SIMPLE Contribution Worksheet.  Only the deductible amount transfers to Schedule 1 line 28 with any excess being subject to penalty on Form 5330 (not supported by TurboTax) unless corrected.

Is your taxable income already zero before adding the employer contribution?  The self-employed retirement contribution cannot reduce your income taxes below zero.  It cannot reduce self-employment taxes or any other Other taxes on Schedule 4.
gb11

Thank you! That was very helpful. I hadn't realized that this would not reduce the self-employment taxes.
dmertz
Level 15

Addressed in the comments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies