Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When do I pay taxes on my social security retirement? Every month or at the end of the year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

When do I pay taxes on my social security retirement? Every month or at the end of the year?

If you receive Social Security Retirement Benefits, at the end of the year you will receive a form SSA-1099 to report this on your tax return. 

Depending on what other income you receive, you may or may not be taxed on your Social Security income.   If your only income is Social Security, you are not required to file a tax return.  Just keep your SSA-1099 for your records.

If you do have other income, here's details to help you determine Is My Social Security Taxable?

Here's How to Enter Form SSA-1099 in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search bar, search for the term Social Security benefits and then select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  3. On the screen Did you receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits in 20XX? answer Yes and select Continue.
  4. On the next screen, check the box beside Social Security benefits (Form SSA-1099), then enter the amounts from your form(s) in the boxes provided.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies