Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

what would be my "allowable US Uniformed Services retirement benefit deduction" ?

I was in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy from 12/18/2020 and was concluded on 11/02/2023, so now I am doing my 2021 taxes I served 20+ years in the Military, my 2021 gross distribution/taxable amount was $25,126.32. what do I put for my allowable US Uniformed Services retirement benefit deduction? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

what would be my "allowable US Uniformed Services retirement benefit deduction" ?

@calderad07 

This answer is for NC residents only.

As long as you did not indicate it was eligible for the Bailey Settlement when you entered the 1099-R in the Federal section.....(would have to have had 5 yrs of service before 12 Aug of 1989 to do that)..

Then, the entire Federally-taxable amount of a US Military retirement DFAS 1099-R is eligible for the US Uniformed services retirement benefit deduction. That appears to be your $25,126.32.

IF you did indicate it was eligible for the Bailey Settlement when you entered the 1099-R in the Federal section, then none of it is eligible for the US Uniformed Services deduction.  One, or the Other...not both.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies