turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What tax forms should I fill for a return on excess contribution to my 401k? Should I report in “Miscellaneous Income section or Retirement Plans and Social Security”?

My provider said I will get the 1099-R in Jan 2019, so I’m little confused on which form should I fill?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What tax forms should I fill for a return on excess contribution to my 401k? Should I report in “Miscellaneous Income section or Retirement Plans and Social Security”?

Yes, see below on how to enter, it applies to 2017 as well.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6064910

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes, see below on how to enter, it applies to 2017 as well.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6064910

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This answer is different from the one recommended on the software itself which says we should file under Retirement Income section even if there is no 1099-R.

Agree w jayeshgoyal...software says to "4. Report the excess deferral on your 2018 return in the Income section for Retirement Plans and Social Security whether or not you received a Form 1099-R before you file your return. Enter as much information as you can. Report the excess deferral amount in boxes 1 and 2a, and use code P in box 7. Indicate that this is a 2019 Form 1099-R." IRS Pub 525 says to include as "other income".  Which is correct?
k6zz

Agree.  I have the same question.  Conflciting guidance
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies