Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pocmama

What should my husband do if he received a 1099G form saying that he received unemployment benefits, which he did not and he did not apply for them?

Do I have to claim those monies that he did not get?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

What should my husband do if he received a 1099G form saying that he received unemployment benefits, which he did not and he did not apply for them?

Sadly there will be a lot of that ... many false claims for unemployment were applied for using identity theft.  Someone I know  found out not only was unemployment applied for in her name & SS# but they also got PPP and EIP loans ... now she is getting loan repayment notices.   You will need to contact the state unemployment agency to see what can be done about this situation.  

RMR51

We received a 1099G for unemployment benefits we did not file for or receive. Notified state of identity theft. Do we report the 1099G on federal return? and notify IRS of the fraud/identity theft?

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Contact the IRS at this point, probably wont help.  You need to work with your state unemployment office to get the 1099G corrected showing no benefits to your husband.  They will file with the IRS a corrected 1099G reflecting zero benefits reported under his social security number. I would not include the 1099G on your tax return is you did not receive any benefits.  

Depending on your state, 1099 electronic files are not submitted to the IRS until 3/31 so you have time to work with the state to get that corrected.

We also received a fraudulent 1099G for my daughter.  We have reported but no response.  Should we go ahead and file without?  Should we paper file and include a copy of the fraudulent report?

Thanks

IRS says:
you should contact your UI division and they should issue to you a corrected 1099-G showing zero as soon as possible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies