turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What box to I reference on my tax return to fill in correct amount on state taxes for social security/railroad retirement benefits?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

What box to I reference on my tax return to fill in correct amount on state taxes for social security/railroad retirement benefits?

It's difficult to tell what you're asking.  If you input your Social Security benefits in TurboTax, the program will compute any appropriate calculations for your state return.

To enter your Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099) in TurboTax Online:

1. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  2. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown to the right of Income & Expenses
  3. Select Start, Pick up where you left off or Review/Edit, as appropriate
  4. Scroll down and select the Show more dropdown to the right of Retirement Plans and Social Security
  5. Select Start or Revisit to the right of Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)
  6. Answer Yes on the Did you receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits in 2023 page 

Continue through the ensuing pages, providing all information as appropriate.

For an alternate entry method, please see the TurboTax Help article Where do I enter an SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM, or SSA-1099-R-OP1? for guidance.

If this isn't helpful, feel free to post back with more information.

Social Security SSA-1099 box 5 goes on the 1040 line 6a and up to 85% taxable on line 6b. 

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies