Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Valic Roth retirement inheritance. How to report on taxes. I re-invested it and mother past away this passed year

My financial advisor said that the inheritance was not taxable but when I select the I inherited this IRA it is calculating that I owe!  I did receive a 1099R. In the Do any of these situations apply to you do I not select I inherited this IRA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Valic Roth retirement inheritance. How to report on taxes. I re-invested it and mother past away this passed year

We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question?

No, the fact that you inherited the account is not making it taxable. What code do you have in box 7 of your 1099-R?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Distribution code 4 IRA/Sep Simple has an x 

Sorry clueless on how to add this to my taxes properly

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the code is the reason this shows as taxable. Code 4 means this is a distribution from a traditional account (not Roth) that was made due to the death of the original owner. 

If the original account was a Roth account, the box 7 code is wrong. If that's the case you need to contact the payer of the 1099-R to get a correction. 

You say that you reinvested the money. Does that mean you rolled it over to another IRA? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies