Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VA State Income Tax Question for Retiree over 67 in 2027 with US Treasury Bond Interest Income, Social Security and Private Pension Only

I am trying to find out how much I will owe in VA state taxes after retirement at 67 in the year 2027. I know that VA will not tax my social security benefits which I estimate will amount to $39,720 per year. I also expect interest income from US treasury bonds (which are exempt from VA state income taxes) to the tune of around $50,000 per year. My only other source of income will probably be a retirement pension of $8122 per year. Since VA does not tax any income up to $12,000 for those 65 and over, will I have nothing to pay in VA state income taxes because only my pension ($8,122 per year) will be taxable and that will be below $12,000 per year and the Social Security and US Treasury interest income will not be included in my income for VA state income tax purposes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

VA State Income Tax Question for Retiree over 67 in 2027 with US Treasury Bond Interest Income, Social Security and Private Pension Only

Your question is the answer ... if you are below the filing requirement for VA then you will not have to file a VA return and you will own nothing.  So don't have any VA withholding.

Thank you!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies